It’s that time of year again! March is officially Workplace Eye Wellness Month, which means it’s time to start thinking about how you can take better care of your eyes in the workplace.
Whether you’re an office worker, a factory worker, or anywhere in between, it’s important to be aware of the potential hazards to your vision.
Let’s take a look at the history of this important month and explore some ways to stay safe and healthy while on the job.
The History of Workplace Eye Wellness Month
Workplace Eye Wellness Month was first started by the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) in 2018 as part of their larger Protect Your Vision campaign.
The goal of this annual celebration is to raise awareness about workplace eye safety and encourage employers to implement protective measures for their employees.
How To Take Care Of Your Eyes In The Workplace
Taking proper care of your eyes in the workplace is essential for avoiding injury, illness, and other problems related to vision health. Here are some tips from AAO on how to keep your eyes safe and healthy while on the job:
- Wear protective eyewear when appropriate – Many workplaces require employees in certain jobs or industries to wear special eye protection such as safety glasses, goggles, face shields, etc. It’s important to follow these guidelines whenever possible.
- Maintain good hygiene – Keeping your workspace clean and sanitized can help prevent eye infections or irritations that could lead to more serious problems down the road. Regularly washing your hands with soap and water can also help reduce the spread of germs that could cause eye infections.
- Take regular breaks – Taking regular breaks throughout the day can help reduce eyestrain caused by staring at a computer screen for extended periods of time. This will also give you an opportunity to rest your eyes and refocus them on distant objects instead of just looking at a screen all day long.
10 Facts About Eye Injuries That Will Blow Your Mind
The following facts show just how serious workplace eye injuries can be:
- More than 2 million eye injuries occur each year in America alone.
- Approximately 10-20% of all traumatic injuries involve the eyes or surrounding structures like lids or orbits.
- Every 11 minutes, someone suffers an eye injury requiring medical attention in U.S. workplaces alone!
- Over 70% of all reported workplace eye injuries are preventable through proper use and maintenance of protective eyewear!
- Eye injuries cost over $300 million annually in lost productivity and medical expenses!
- Over 50%of all reported workplace eye injuries occur during common daily activities like cleaning or using tools!
- More than 90%of Americans do not wear any protective eyewear when they should be wearing it!
- Almost half (45%)of reported workplace eye injuries involve flying debris or particles!
- Approximately 40%of reported workplace eye injuries involve contact lenses rather than glasses.
- A single severe ocular injury may result in permanent vision loss or blindness if not treated quickly enough!
Workplace Eye Wellness Month is a great time to remind everyone about taking better care of their vision while on the job—and don’t forget about home too!
We hope these facts have inspired you to think more seriously about protecting your vision both at work and beyond this month (and every month).
Make sure you use protective eyewear when appropriate, maintain good hygiene practices, and take regular breaks from screens and other tasks—these are all great ways you can keep your eyes healthy no matter where you are working from today!
Happy Workplace Eye Wellness Month from Cliradex!